Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Thanksgiving

There is only so much that can be said on thanksgiving... everyone knows the traditions.

I thought I would just throw some food for thought out there about the holiday from my opinion.  

Thanksgiving is about giving thanks to God for what we have and His provisions. Many turn it into a day of feasting, but the pilgrims originally had very little to eat! I fear that too often we get caught up in feasting and visiting that we forget to give thanks.

Many people I know go around and say a couple things they are thankful for before the meal.  I think this is a great idea but I would prefer  a little more private setting.  It's hard to be as thankful when put on the spot in front of others.

My ideas of thanksgiving is this.  I think it would be great to fast for the whole day, contemplating the hardships that we have been spared yet the pilgrims went through. During this time we can spend alone time with God praising Him and thanking Him for all He has done for us.  

After the sun sets get together with friends and family (or whatever time in the evening schedules permit) and have your thanksgiving meal.

As I said, this is just an idea I had and thought would be neat to do. Gives a little different perspective and feel to thanksgiving and maybe keeps it a little more along the lines of actually giving thanks to God more and more sincerely.

Let me know what you think or feel free to share your thanksgiving traditions.  


4 comments:

  1. The first Thanksgiving (although, at the time, it probably wasn't called that), was a celebration because the Indians had taught the pilgrims (among many other things) how to cultivate corn - and the first Thanksgiving feast was to celebrate the pilgrims first successful harvest. The feast lasted 3 days, and most likely included fowl, deer and many other dishes. (http://www.history.com/topics/thanksgiving is one good source, but there are many others). This is why we have a feast. The pilgrims had a lot to be thankful for - after having lost so many people, they were finally learning to live off the land in America.

    That said, the idea of fasting during Thanksgiving is an interesting idea. My only concern with this would be that Jesus tells us fasting should be a private affair. If you're having this fasting tradition, you're basically telling people "Look at me! I'm fasting as a way to thank God." This isn't right according to Christ.

    Lastly... to me, Thanksgiving is much more than just giving thanks to God for our food. It's a time to give thanks to Him for our friends and family. It's a time to give thanks for all we have, in particular, the people in it. Thanksgiving wasn't just because of a successful harvest, it was to give thanks also to those who taught them how to have a successful harvest.

    I think both public and private thanksgiving is a good practice - public while at the dinner table with those people you're thankful for; and in private where you can thank the Lord for all the blessings He's bestowed upon you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't suggest fasting publicly, that is why I said that during this time we would spend alone time with God. I do agree that fasting should be a private thing as we feel God's leading. Then, after the sun sets (or whenever you are done with your fasting and private thanksgiving) you get together with friends and family as I mentioned above.

      And yes thanksgiving should be more than just being thankful for food and such things. As I mentioned we should be thankful for all the blessings God has done for us.


      the pilgrims did indeed have much to be thankful for as you said! Their very lives were saved by the Indian's help. In previous times they had very little food at all, at times just a few Kernels of corn for a day. So they had come a long ways!

      Delete
  2. interesting and very solid and very right..i like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, glad you liked it! :) Thanks for reading and commenting.

      Delete