Thursday, October 3, 2013

Doomsday Prepping

With today's political scene, the national wars, threats to Israel, our plummeting economy, etc... it seems like the "signs of the times" are crashing upon our shores one fierce wave after another.
Now I am not here to speculate on when the end will be, or whether I will live to see it.  I won't be terribly surprised if I do...but I won't be surprised if I don't either.
What I would like to address is how should we prepare for such an impending doom?

Whether THE end is coming or not no one can argue that we are in for troubling times ahead. The bible makes it clear that the world will continue to grow more and more corrupt as we get closer and closer to the end. So what should we do?

First off, there is no safer place for you to be than in the will of God. End time scenario or cozy country cottage... either way it's the same. So first we must have a right relationship with Him and follow His will to the best of our ability because whether THE end comes in your life time or not... YOUR end will be in your life time, that much you can count on.

As far as survival goes, many are out there stocking up on guns, preserved foods, self sufficient operations, alternative energy sources, and a myriad of other things. All this is well and good to get you through some rough times... until those rough times turn hard.

If the government turns on us, if society is depraved and desperate, if we are invaded... your stockpiles will be the first target. Your guns will be confiscated, your food stockpiles will be looted, your energy will be cut off, your equipment will wear out and break down.

So what then, would I suggest?  Here is my suggestion. I believe we should all get ourselves a few survival guides and read them multiple times. Learn how to get clean water in the wild, what you can and can not eat, how to build and find shelter, how to start a fire, how to tend the eatable plants in your area.

Learning to preserve foods would be another valuable piece of knowledge. Dried and preserved foods might be the only thing that gets someone through the winter. Hunting also would be a staple for winter survival.

Any items you poses someone can take, your knowledge they can not. Once you know that survival book like the back of your hand... (honestly... how much time do any of us spend staring at the back of our hands? ) go out in the wild and experience! It not only can be a learning experience but it can be a lot of fun. Camp out, try and live off the land for a few days, get your own water from nature's sources.

I realize that to some this would be very difficult but I would urge you to do what you can. I truly believe that this would be the most effective way to survive and perhaps even save the lives of other who do not have the knowledge you posses.

As always, this is my personal opinion. Feel free to give alternative opinions, add to the topic, discuss methods of survival etc...

Thanks for the read and hope it makes you think. ;)

2 comments:

  1. Fantastic post. I think you are right in your suggestion. But, I think you forgot an important point. Always, ask God before you do anything life-changing like that, because if He needs you to survive the end times, He will ensure your survival. But I agree totally that we should learn how to survive in the wild. Do you know if Bear Grylis has any survival guides out in print?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did feel like I mentioned the issue of making sure of Gods will in the third paragraph.

    "First off, there is no safer place for you to be than in the will of God."

    I at times know I often write something that seems clear to me but it isn't clear to others fully because I know the entire concept behind the short phrase a write.
    I need to expound on some things a little more.

    And that is a good point. You will survive if God wants you to, however I do believe that if I were to neglect the learning that God wants me to do then I may not be capable of fulfilling His plan. (by my own fault naturally) And if the Grace of God has pity on me enough to overlook my failure to prepare then I know it will be much harder for me than it would have been if I had prepared. I think God expects all of us to do our fair share of the work.
    But yes I should have made that point a little more clear as well. :)

    I really don't know if bear grills has any books out, but honestly I have never been too impressed with him because some of the things he does in his shows really are not practical and he doesn't survive on his own. He has a camera crew there.

    I am partial to Les Stroud, I think his advice is a little more realistic. I would suggest, however, looking on Amazon for a good survival book and check the reviews. Find one that actual outdoors-man like and say is good.

    I have read a little on the SAS survival guide and another one that I don't remember the title of... but honestly most of what I know is from experience.

    ReplyDelete