Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Thanksgiving and Praise

I would like to dedicate tonight to give praise and thanksgiving to my God.  When I was a child I read of miracles and with a child like faith I implemented it.
     We had goldfish in a stock tank... I would always try to catch them with my hands as they swam around but to no avail. My efforts were always met with a splash of cool water and an empty hand. One day I thought of the miracles in the bible and told God... "If you can do Miracles please let me catch one of these fish and I will follow you for the rest of my life!"

Now this seems like a foolish thing to say... a silly request...a childish thing to do. A child I was... probably 5 or so if memory serves. 
     After saying this I aimed for a small goldfish, thrust my hand int he water, and came up with a slippery wriggling fish! To an adult this may seem like happenstance but to me it seemed like proof. Now I have gone astray more than my fair share of times since then, but I have always come back to God.

As time went on I grew into a man...and my views changed. A house that I didn't have to pay for because it was already in the family, with nearly everything in it already furnished from the people who left it there before...a free washer and dryer and $75 dollar refrigerator... these things were wonderful blessings to me...but never did I consider them miracles.  

Now I think...why not?  Who am I to belittle these blessings? Isn't anything God does that is not able to be explained a miracle? 

Miracle: 
noun
1.
an effect or extraordinary event in the physical world that surpasses all known human or natural powers and is ascribed to a supernatural cause.
2.
such an effect or event manifesting or considered as a work of God.
3.
a wonder; marvel.
4.
a wonderful or surpassing example of some quality:
 
I would say I could use some of those definitions if not all to say these things were miracles.  For a family of 6 who lived on as little as $4000 a year in our past to have an empty house just sitting around being used for storage that hasn't had anyone living in it for 10+ years, that just happens to have almost everything you need to furnish it aside from appliances (and even a few of them) and for that house that had no upkeep to still be in a liveable condition after all those years... how is that explainable? 

James tells us that every good and perfect gift is from above and comes down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow of turning. All that stuff was a good gift...

How about being told divinely who you are to marry?
Making money stretch further than it should have?
Providing a job the day after I decided to look for a new one because the one I was working did not allow me to follow all God's laws for a believer?

I could go on...but I think you get my point.

Lets remember that just because it's not a miracle that shakes the world doesn't mean it's not a miracle. If it's good it's from God. Lets all remember to give HIM thanksgiving and praise for the miracles He does in our lives and not belittle the mighty hand of our LORD.

Luke 16:10  He that is faithful in that which is least is faithful also in much: and he that is unjust in the least is unjust also in much.
 
Mathew 25:21 His lord said unto him, Well done, thou good and faithful servant: thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord.
 
 
Surely these scriptures can be applied to our faithfulness in giving God credit and praise for what He does in our lives as well.
 
Hope this encourages you to view your everyday life in a God centered mindset that you may examine yourself and see how much more glory you can give to God if you try!

No comments:

Post a Comment