Saturday, December 28, 2013

What Must We Do To be Saved?

Mathew 7:21-23

New King James Version (NKJV)
21 “Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven. 22 Many will say to Me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?’ 23 And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!’


Lawlessness: A state in which there is widespread wrongdoing and disregard for rules and authority

Anomia means without the law. The only law they had in Mathew  was the Old Testament.

1 John 2:3

King James Version (KJV)
And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments.

Revelation 22:14

King James Version (KJV)
14 Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.


What commandments? The only commandments they had were in the Old Testament. 

Now let us consider this. Jesus and His disciples went around persuading people out of the scriptures.


2 Timothy 3:16-17

King James Version (KJV)
16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
17 That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.
  
  
Again... what scriptures did they have? Can you imagine (if I may borrow this illustration from another) if Paul got up to preach and said, "This is what you must do to be saved! We know it is true because it is in the scriptures...that I wrote... just last year."  
     In the Hebrew culture you could not preach under your own authority but you were typically to preach under the authority of another. (most foundational the authority of Moses or one of the Old Testament writers) That is why in Mathew 7:29 says "For he taught them as one having authority, and not as the scribes"
     He spoke with authority because all scripture is God breathed. It was by His authority we are saved and that He preached. The Old Testament shows us Messiah and prophecies about His coming.

Now naturally we know that in order to be saved we must first confess our sins and repent. Acts 2 touches on that. We must then believe in Jesus as Messiah and then follow Him. It's not a name it and claim it then walk away and live how you want deal. It's an every day act of obedience that maintains our salvation by faith (in Messiah) through grace (of Messiah)

Luke 9:23

King James Version (KJV)
23 And he said to them all, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me.

So what am I saying? Should we go back to the Old Testament way of life? No. We should go back to God's instructions that He gave them back then.
     Obviously not all in the OT are salvation issues. I'm not going to hell if I eat pork...it's just bad for my health. There were legitimate reasons why God told them the things He did. 
     The temple sacrifices are not necessary because they were a prophetic foreshadowing of the ultimate sacrifice... Messiah. 

Perhaps we should consider, however, that the instructions in the OT are still relevant to us today largely as a whole. Paul, even in the end of Acts long after the death and resurrection was still following the Old Testament instructions. (and why not... there were still no other scriptures accepted at those times. apostolic writings to the best of my knowledge would not yet be considered scripture)



Acts 24:14

King James Version (KJV)
14 But this I confess unto thee, that after the way which they call heresy, so worship I the God of my fathers, believing all things which are written in the law and in the prophets:


My intent here is not to "put you under bondage." Jesus said... (again keep in mind that He had no other scriptures to base His teachings off of)

Matthew 11:30

King James Version (KJV)
30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

My intent IS to make people consider the validity of the Old testament in conjunction with the New Testament as a seamless scriptural guide to our lives. They each support one another and are each just as valid since they hold the same teachings. If one is valid the other is too. Now interpretation of all the nuances inside is another subject entirely! So please keep in mind, the Old testament preaches the same salvation as the New, just in a different way.

So first we must keep His commandments? Does it end there? What if I live my whole life and never break a single one of the ten commandments? (that would be the easiest set to start with) On top of that what if I eat clean foods and believe in Messiah, get baptized (though I do not believe baptism in water is a requirement to get to heaven... however it is a good thing to do) 
     


Matthew 19:21

King James Version (KJV)
21 Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me.

Now this obviously doesn't mean that if we don't sell all and follow Him we are not getting to Heaven... right? It depends on how you look at it. We are to be stewards of what God has given us. In the parable of the talents (Mathew 25) the money he gave his servants was theirs to do with as they chose but it did not belong to them. 
     All we "posses" belongs to God because we are to be His bond servants  as James talks about. The very idea of a bond servant is someone who their master sets them free but out of love by their own choice they refuse to go free and dedicate themselves to serving that master for the rest of their life.
     So if you look at it that way then we must "sell" everything we own because we must commit it to God. He will still allow us to use it to provide for our physical needs and some of our wants, but it is to provide for the physical needs of others as well.



1 Timothy 5:8

King James Version (KJV)
But if any provide not for his own, and specially for those of his own house, he hath denied the faith, and is worse than an infidel.


Also read Mathew 25:31-46 To sum it up ...........come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world: ..........For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in: Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me............Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:  For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not...................Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison................... Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me.

1 Corinthians 13:13

King James Version (KJV)
13 And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.
Charity is a word that I am sure we are all familiar with. Agape. To sum it up Agape love is doing (note doing being an action) what is best for the other person in spite of  your own needs and desires. In Mathew 25 those who were let into heaven practiced this for of love/charity. This is part of our daily duty of taking up our cross and following Him. (sometimes a hard one... but a duty none the less) We can't sit back and be inactive and still make the cut.

James 2:10-26

King James Version (KJV)
10 For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all.
11 For he that said, Do not commit adultery, said also, Do not kill. Now if thou commit no adultery, yet if thou kill, thou art become a transgressor of the law.
12 So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.
13 For he shall have judgment without mercy, that hath shewed no mercy; and mercy rejoiceth against judgment.
14 What doth it profit, my brethren, though a man say he hath faith, and have not works? can faith save him?
15 If a brother or sister be naked, and destitute of daily food,
16 And one of you say unto them, Depart in peace, be ye warmed and filled; notwithstanding ye give them not those things which are needful to the body; what doth it profit?
17 Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.
18 Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works.
19 Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.
20 But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?
21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar?
22 Seest thou how faith wrought with his works, and by works was faith made perfect?
23 And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God.
24 Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only.
25 Likewise also was not Rahab the harlot justified by works, when she had received the messengers, and had sent them out another way?
26 For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.


So we must have works our our faith is no good. Simple belief is not sufficient. (even the demons believe- and tremble)

Another thing to ponder... are you saved? Am I saved? Or are we still in the process of being saved? If I turn around tomorrow and  systematically break each one of the ten commandments intentionally and do so every day for the rest of my life I will go to hell when I die. However, if I were to die right now I have faith that God's grace would allow me in. So I am not necessarily "saved" until I make it to heaven. Then my salvation is sure. Though this is a bit of a nit-picky subject. I am simply splitting hairs to provoke some thought. 

So in other words we must live Messiah to the best of our ability. Always striving for the faith once delivered to the saints as spoke of in Jude. It's an uphill battle but it's not God's instructions that make it hard (his burdens are light) it is the devil who throws resistance against our walk. 
     If we walk faithfully (though we all will stray and stumble along the way) and persevere to the end we will receive the crown of life, which the Lord hath promised to them that love him. (James 1:12)

There is a saying I heard once, ascribed to an old Rabi. He was posed the question that, if faith was like a ladder who would be highest on the ladder? His answer? "The one who is still climbing."

The closer we grow to HIM the closer we grow together. So let us walk together, learn together, strive for that faith once delivered to the saints and pick up our cross daily until our end meets us and our God takes us. 

Peace to you all and may His will be done.
Jason
 

8 comments:

  1. This is wonderfully, and, knowledgeably written. Thoughtfully put together. On the mark, outside of the need for Water baptism, to be saved.
    The great commission in Matthew 28!9, Mark 16:16, included baptism as a necessity from the mouth of Jesus. John 3:1-7 Jesus tells Nicodemus he must be born of the water and Spirit to see, and to enter the Kingdom of God.
    Jesus trained His disciples then in Acts 2:1-4 filled them wit His Spirit of Power to preach this message.
    Ac4s 2:38 Peter preached this message on water baptism in response to the Jews on what they must do to be saved.
    Through out the book of Acts we see this is the method used by the Church when souls were being added to the church. Even Paul the Apostle was baptized.
    John the baptist preached, Jesus obeyed it. Why would we think it not necessary if Jesus our example was baptized. He came to show us the Way.
    Just my thought. See Luke 24:45-47.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Thanks for reading and commenting Brad Higson. You bring up some
      very good points. I fully agree that if Jesus did it we should as
      well. I believe baptism is a good thing to do. I also believe,
      however, that we should eat clean. (no pork etc...) Jesus followed
      the dietary laws as well but I do not believe he will send you to
      hell for eating pork.

      To my understanding, baptism in the Jewish culture, was not a one
      time deal like it is to us today. They had several different baptisms
      and they did them on a regular basis. (called a mikva) The baptism
      of repentance that John did, there were baptisms of cleansing and
      others as well.

      I didn't get Mathew 28:9 in context with the subject.. sorry if I am
      missing something.
      Mark 16:16 does not mention "he who believeth not and is not baptized shall be dammed." Just he who beleiveth not. Might be me nitpicking but it seems he would have added that if it was a salvation issue.
      Also the word used in John 3:1-7 is not the same word used in
      Mark or in other places where the word "baptized" shows up. Mark
      uses baptizo which basically means to make overwhelmed or fully wet.
      (so according to this anyone who was just sprinkled does not get to
      heaven if baptism is essential)
      In John 3 the word used is Hagnizo which basically means to make
      clean, sanctify or purify.

      In the Old testament they were told for several things that made
      them unclean that they would be clean until evening. Then they were
      to wash and after sundown they would be clean. I believe this is the
      same concept (a mikva) in the story of Naaman and Elisha. (2 Kings 5)
      This is ritually clean and unclean and I don't see it connected to
      salvation. I could be wrong of course. I am by no means perfect.

      My basic argument would be this... what about death bed confessions?
      What about someone who is saved and has no water available at the
      moment but dies before they get to any? What about the denominations
      who are full of sincere people but believe and have been taught that
      it is the baptism of the Holly Spirit that is important and not
      water baptism? (I don't agree... I think both are important)

      But do you suppose in all these scenarios that God will condemn the
      sincerest of hearts to hell simply because they have not been
      submerged in a water baptism? And if we are to be baptized in the
      Jewish sense it was (as I mentioned) a repetitive thing...so should
      we be baptized every time we need cleansing or repentance? It was also
      supposed to be done in moving water...most baptisms today are not.
      Would that mater?

      Again, do let me reiterate. I do think baptism is a good and important
      thing to do. So I hope I don't come across as too argumentative. I
      simply don't see it being a requirement to get into heaven.

      Delete
  2. Some interesting questions posed. But I have to agree with Mark above. You cannot be a Christian without having being baptised. Baptism is the first stage of Christian initiation, without which we are not truly Christian. It is the door, the gateway, and the beginning of life in the Spirit. In Baptism, we are plunged, immersed into the water, symbolizing our burial into Christ's death, from which we rise up by resurrection with him, as "a new creature".

    Baptism is the source of that new life in Christ from which the entire Christian life springs forth. It is the sacrament of faith. Baptism is therefore necessary for salvation for those to whom the Gospel has been proclaimedand who have had the possibility of asking for this sacrament. God has bound salvation to the sacrament of Baptism, however, he himself is not bound by his sacraments; those who do not know, those who wanted baptism and perhaps died before it are therefore not lost. "Unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God." Jn 3:5

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First off, as I said above, I do think it is important. Jesus did it... so we ought to as well. Jesus also kept the dietary laws... we should do that too. Eating right won't get us into heaven but it will help us live healthier.

      Also can you answer the questions I posed above? Jesus said "I am the door." John 9:10 He did not say Baptism is the door... Through faith we are saved... not through baptism.

      In John 3:5 the word "Water" is literally figurative for rain or weather. Jesus came through blood and water, we are to come through HIM. It just as when Jesus told Nicodemus we must be born again. It's not that we must literally re-enter our mother's womb and be born again.

      If a death bed confession gets you to heaven then it is not the act of baptism that saves, it is the act of faith.

      Delete
  3. I know that I'm late, but I agree with you Jason. If the thief on the cross got to go to to heaven then baptism is obviously not a strict requirement, although I do believe it should be done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that it should be done as well. I think there are many things that are a matter of obedience but not always salvation. Either way I do know that Jesus was baptized and HE was our example. Therefore I do think it is a good and beneficial thing to do.

      Delete
  4. Just passing through, and thought I would comment.

    "If you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved." Romans 10:9 New King James Version (NKJV)

    "For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved." Romans 10:13 (King James Bible)

    "For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord." Romans 8:38-39 New International Version (NIV)


    So don't those verses say that our salvation is sure? That we simply must believe and accept His gift? That it is of Jesus' work and not ours?

    "...and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags..." Isaiah 64:6 (King James Bible)

    So our works, our goodness, our obeying of the ten commandments, doesn't make us saved or not saved. Because we can't be good enough to compare to God's awesome holiness.

    "For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord." Romans 6:23 (King James Bible)

    The good works come after you are saved, I believe. You love God, and so you want to obey Him, and live a pure and upright life. However, we are unable to do this without His daily help.

    But just because we mess up and sin, doesn't mean we suddenly aren't saved anymore. God knows our hearts, and if we have sincerely accepted His gift, then no amount of our mistakes can snatch us from His hand. His sinless-ness saves us; not our sinless-ness.

    I struggled with wondering if I was saved or not for a long time. It wasn't fun. I believe Jesus wants us to have peace and security in salvation. He wants not only to be our Lord and Savior, but our Friend. So I just felt I should share my findings.

    Thanks.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are correct. Salvation is by grace through faith but doesn't James say, "Show me your faith without your works and I will show you my faith by my works... " Faith without works is dead.

      So yes, we believe and confess Jesus, and we are offered salvation. However, you can loose salvation.

      If we love God we will obey, correct. However, what do you do with one who looses that love and continues on to live a habitual life of murder, adultery, idolatry, etc.... Sin separates us from God and sin is transgression of the law.

      It's not, oops I slipped up now I lost my salvation. That's a mistake on our part yes.

      But if one who has salvation turns away and rejects God fully and lives a habitual lifestyle of sin they will not have salvation.

      Obedience, predominately, produces blessings. Not salvation. Sorry if I made it seem that way.


      I did mention that salvation comes through Messiah and belief in Him with repentance from our sins.

      With the issue of knowing whether or not we are saved... this is where the obedience comes in.

      Are we saved? Ask yourself, "Am I obedient?" If a desire to be obedient is a natural product of salvation then the one should follow the other.


      1 John 2:3
      King James Version (KJV)
      3 And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments.


      We will not keep them perfectly, but we will desire and try our best to keep them....and how far against the "world" or even "Christianity" are you willing to follow God if obedience to Him leads to a different path than "they" lead you to?

      As for me... If it's in the bible and a man contradicts it, I'm sticking to the bible.

      Delete